Vroom vroom vroom vroom!
That’s the sound of my website running on a new engine.
For the past three years, the awesome alien technology behind my website was a bunch of PHP classes that I quickly put together, in a lousy attempt to build a lightweight MVC-like framework. That did the job, but it was kind of a duct tape solution which I didn’t particularly appreciate, and I finally took the time to replace it with something more decent.
I decided to go with Symfony as the basis for the new engine. Rebuilding went pretty quick, and the only thing that took some time was WordPress integration (for the curious, I used a slightly modified version of this method).
You might also notice that the design has changed a bit. It’s not very different from the previous one, but that’s just the visual part — the HTML has undergone significant changes. My primary goals were:
- Keep the HTML structure as simple as possible, with no meaningless elements
- Use a minimum number of images for the basic layout (gradients and rounded corners are now made with CSS)
Now, one might question whether it makes any sense to acknowledge IE6 anymore, considering that many websites have already turned their backs on it, and that the content of my website makes it targeted at web-savvy visitors using modern browsers. Ok, so I did it mostly for the lulz. And I’m happy with the overall result.
Vroomity vroom vroom!